This page was last updated: May 20, 2019
The Right Turn, Inc. ~ 115 E Sioux Ave ~ Pierre SD 57501 ~ (605) 773-4755, Fax: (605) 773-5557
We are grateful to be a United Way Participating Agency!
The Right Turn, Inc. does not discriminate and provides service without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, political belief, disability, sexual orientation,
ancestry or national origin.
New changes to federal law require orientation training for all registered and licensed child care providers. We can help!
All newly hired child care staff or newly registered family child care providers will need to complete orientation training within 90 days of hire or registration.
Many orientation training topics are now available online 24 hours a day.
For password assistance, contact the SDSU Family Resource Network at 800-354-8238.
Orientation Training Topics
1. Prevention & Control of Infectious Diseases
2. Prevention of sudden infant death syndrome and use of safe sleep practices
3. Administration of Medications in Child Care
4. Preventing & Responding to Emergencies Due to Food and Allergic Reactions
5. Building and physical premises safety
6. Prevention of Shaken Baby Syndrome and Abusive Head Trauma
7. Emergency Preparedness & Planning for Child Care Programs
8. Handling & Storage of Hazardous Materials and the Disposal of Biocontaminants
9. Child Development
10. Appropriate Precautions for Transporting Children
11. Recognition & Reporting of Child Abuse and Neglect
12. Basic First Aid for Child Care Providers
(available directly from Right Turn)
13. CPR Certification
(must be taken in person; available from Right Turn)
2015 - 2018 Training Counts Towards Orientation!
Child care providers who attended Right Turn training hours on these topics since 2015 may be able to count them toward the new orientation requirements. Please contact us if you would like a copy of your training record; we can help determine what topics are still needed for each child care provider.